Wednesday, June 10, 2015

9 June 2015 Fort Worth to Abilene to Clovis

It was difficult to leave Maritza and her three kids this morning. 

These were the clouds I saw as I left Fort Worth.

I was told the trip would be boring. Actually it wasn't. Google took me off the interstates on 84 primarily. I don't like that because I miss iExit which tells me what is coming at the exits. It only works on the Interstate System. But the changes of scenery were interesting. At least to me. Sometimes I wished I had company to discuss what I saw with. There were photos I would have loved to have taken but couldn't. Two Cowboy Churches. A stretch of road with little canyons that reminded me of a stretch of country in Canada that the train traversed. There was one place where the hay bales looked like home except they had a refinery in the background. 


For one stretch there were windmills everywhere. Hundreds of them.

And many pumping wells everywhere, some only maybe a few hundred feet apart.

It doesn't show up in the photo but there was a stretch where there were "mesas" all topped with windmills. 

In Abilene I waited for JA to pick me up at a museum. I liked the iron buffalo sculptures.

We had chai lattes before I got back on the road. We have known each other online for many years so it was good to meet in person. She actually lived a couple of blocks from us in Sharon, PA years ago.

I drove to Clovis, NM before stopping for the night. This fist sized critter was hopping around outside my room. There was a smaller one near my car. 

I spent the evening figuring out what to do next. I may not have much time to blog. I'm driving to Flagstaff tomorrow then taking a bus tour to the Grand Canyon on Thursday. Friday I hope to drive to Chandler, AZ by way of Sedona. Then on to San Diego on Saturday.

2 comments:

Cheryle said...

You'll probably see more wind farms as you cross into southern California, as well as when you leave Portland since there are quite a few in eastern Oregon. I first saw them near Palm Springs/Palm Desert, and find them quite lovely.

I do know what you mean about wishing you had someone to talk to about what you're seeing. I just enjoy new things so much more when there's someone to share them with!

You're making good time. Enjoy the Big Ditch; it's worth the stop!

Forsythia said...

I'll never forget the comment of some British friends after they'd seen the Grand Canyon: "Too big."